Sunday, November 16, 2014

Literacy With an Attitude

QUOTES:

"First there is empowering education, which leads to powerful literacy, the kind of literacy that leads to positions of power and authority. Second, there is domesticating education, which leads to functional literacy, literacy that makes a person productive and dependable, but not torublesome."

-Honestly this quote kind of made me angry. Yes education plays a HUGE part in everyone's lives just about, however it does not mean in any way that education helps you with literacy. Yes obviously you learn to read through education but it does not mean you are a better reader or writer. Also, by reading certain types of literacy that does not mean you are a higher authority than everyone else in this world. Literacy should be based upon what a person enjoys and what is in their heart and they should not have to read or write something because they are told to, or told that it will make them "better". 


"They must understand the relationship between society, culture, language, and schooling."

-I really like this quote because in our class I have learned SO much more about society, culture, language, and schooling and I have realized that everyone and every enviroment is different. I think literacy would of course help students understand and realize a lot about people and this world today and I think it would interest them more and want to read and write more.

"I made the assignments easy so the least able students could do them. l had "extra credit" assignments for students who finished early, usually not too challenging but time consuming." 

-I really like this quote because when I was growing up in my elementary school I had esl students in my school. And a lot of them needed extra help and time. I think it is only fair to the whole class if everyone recieves them same work. And if that means it will be easy for some and harder for the others than so be it. Everyone learns at different paces so giving these children who need the extra time the same work as the others it shows them that they are very capable of doing the same thing. 

 




5 comments:

  1. I LOVED your quotes!! Especially the 3rd one. I as a former ESL student can totally relate to this. And I believe that your point about everyone having the same work load no matter if it's easy or harder for others. Everyone should be given an equal amount, if they struggle then it's appropriate to help them and other students/children may be struggling as well and hearing questions being asked may be what another student is thinking as well.

    Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tanya on the 3rd quote! I found that method very inclusive and how the needs of the struggling student's were met, without it being obvious or cutting into the time of the more advanced student's education. I also like how you questioned authority on the first quote and wrote about your own opinion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the graph you have about literacy in latin american countries! It was interesting to the see the progress being made in literacy rates across the world. I agree when you said that being literate in one way doesn't make a person in a higher position of power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the literacy chart was great, the teacher in the classroom i'm working in has something very similar and I agree that all children should be given the same oppurtunities

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed looking at the literacy chart. It gives so much information

    ReplyDelete