Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Citizenship In School

HYPERLINKS:


Reading this piece really made me reflect on my schooling. When I was in kindergarten I was in a classroom with down syndrome children, and others who have disabilities. Not once were they treated differently. However, when I think about that I think to myself is that because we were all so young? But then I really realized the answer truly is no. Just because a child has down syndrome or another disability it does not make them ANY different than any other child. The only difference is in how they learn. Every child learns differently anyhow, and at different paces. I really liked this article and how it related it to the Where the Wild Things Are. That was one of my favorite books growing up. Also, when I was a junior in high school I was taking a child development class and I had the opportunity to have three girls in my class with down syndrome, and other disabilities. I was so grateful I out of 28 other kids in my class was the lucky one to get to work with them. I felt so honored. These kids are the most kind-hearted, smart, loving people. They continuously put a smile on my face, it was a joy helping them with their work. Some days it was definitely difficult trying to keep them up to pace but in the end it was all worth it. I loved this article because it really shows what's to come in the future. 

 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bLu6A6TS2U


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0_lPD_tSJo


2 comments:

  1. i really enjoyed reading your post because i could really relate to it with my own experiences! I definitely agree with what you have to say about including all students in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree their is no difference the only difference is in how they learn.

    ReplyDelete